Today we are going to make a simple, easy, gluten-free dish that will serve 4-6 people.
The only equipment you will need for this recipe is a 3.5 liter slow cooker or larger.
The beauty of this recipe is in its simplicity – if you follow correctly, the lamb should have a meltingly tender texture and vegetables will be soft all the way through yet firm. This dish will take you 15 minutes to prepare, and 6 hours to cook – so plan ahead!
Slow cooked food is the easiest to digest and so is suitable for anyone with digestive issues and works wonders for older folks. This cooking method may also produce the least amount of heat-generated toxins such as heterocyclic amines and acrylamide. Ready? Let’s go..
- Shoulder of Lamb (ideally organic, grassfed, fresh)
- Butternut Squash, diced (ideally organic)turmerick
- Courgette/Zucchini, peeled and chopped (organic if possible)
- Start by peeling and then dicing the butternut squash.
- Peel and slice the courgette.
- Place the lamb shoulder, diced squash and sliced courgette into your slow cooker and turn it on
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of each herb and spice mentioned above into the slow cooker. Only use 5 cloves though, as these can be overpowering and ruin the flavour
- Pour a whole can of coconut milk into the slow cooker and then fill the slow cooker with filtered water until nearly all of the ingredients are submerged.
- Set the slow cooker on high for 6 hours, or on low for 10 hours
- That’s it!
Not only do the herbs and spices create a wonderful depth of flavour, they actually make the meal healthier. As mentioned above, rosemary in particular will prevent the formation of food toxins (see here and here). Dill weed is known for reducing bloating due to its antibacterial oils and tarragon may help to optimise your blood lipids.
Coconut milk is rich in medium-chain fats, which raise metabolism and will aid in weight-loss.
A word of warning! Be sure to get high-quality and reasonably fresh ginger, as ginger is frequently contaminated with mold and mycotoxins which will wreak havoc on your health and may cause weight gain.